Yes, if you are playing recorded/live music in your business premises and/or events in public through any means, including by using radio, television, online broadcast services and/or live performances, you will require a licence from MRM.


Purchasing MRM's Music Licence allows you to legally use or play music. Learn more about our licence.


The Licence cost depends on the following factors such as:

  1. Business type/category
  2. The size of area in your business that the music can be heard in.
  3. The number of capacity that can fit your premises
  4. How recorded music is used in your business (as background, via TV/Radio, etc)
  5. The type of social activity (eg. singing school, etc)


Why is a music licence required in my business?

Music can be an extremely effective tool to create the right ambience, attracting and keeping customers and so much more. However, many are not aware that they would need the permission of the people who own the music to use or play their music in a business setting.

By playing recorded/live music in your business premises and/or events in public through any means, including by use of radio, television, online broadcast services and/or live performances, you will require a licence from MRM.

As permission is legally needed from the music rights holders, a music licence from MRM grants you this permission whereby you don't have to contact each and every music rights holder (composers, lyricists, publishers, recording labels, artistes and musicians) individually to obtain their permission to play recorded/live music from MRM's vast repertoire.

Why MRM licence?

  1. It is the country's one-stop licensing provider for a global repertoire of music.
  2. It offers Fair Value for Music providing a convenient and easy access to the music rights for public performance, broadcast, reproduction and commercial rental.
  3. It provides single music licences to music users enabling them legal access to use music in all its various forms.

Type of licence MRM grant:-

Single Event Public Performance Licences for one-off and continuing events, road shows and concerts;

Annual Public Performance Licences for the physical commercial premises/outlets.

MRM does issue other less common types of licences (broadcast, commercial rental and reproduction for the purpose of public performance) and information on such licences is available upon request.

Which licence should I apply?

Use the business category listed below to find the right licence you need.

Each licence reflects how you use music and whether it is background music, featured music, live music or reproduction. The licence fees payable should reflect both the size of your business and the way you use it in you day to day operation.

Community Singing Centre
Members Club
Hotel, Motel Serviced Apartment
Budget Eatery Outlet
Restaurant, Cafe, Coffee House
Pub, Bar, Beer Garden Bistro, Lounge
Non-Executive Karaoke Food Court, Fast Food Joint, Canteen Event Licences
Karaoke Kiosk Box Hospital, Medical Centre Clinic
Karaoke Singing/Training Centre Halls & Function Centre Kiosk
Terminal Fitness Centre, Aerobic Centre, Gymnasium Music School, Dance School Executive KTV Lounge, Discotheque, & Multi Entertainment Concept
Amusement Centre Theme Park, Skating Rink Financial Institution Office Premise, Factory Saloon, Beauty Centre Spa & Health Centre
Departmental Store, Supermarket, Hypermarket Shopping Centre, Retail Shop Bowling Centre Video Arcade, Snooker Centre Automotive Service Centre, Petrol Service Station, Workshop, Showroom




The fees will be remitted to existing licensing bodies registered by MyIPO for onward distribution to all relevant music rights holders soonest possible. Such music licensing fees/royalties provides music right holders with due reward for their contributions and investments in the creation of the music which we all love and enjoy. Quite simply, the fees we collect are distributed to our members as royalties, after deducting operating expenses.

There are two ways public performance licence fees are paid out to our Rights Holders:

  1. Based on Program Return Forms of the actual music played in your business - for example live artist playlists, background music supplier reports, music recognition technology in cafes, retail outlets and etc.
  2. Based on data that approximates the music played in your business - for example reports from commercial and community radio and TV station, music streaming services, music charts and music video channels.

We are always looking for the best sources of data to distribute licence fees and invest in world's best practice data matching system to ensure the Rights Holders are paid.

Through such an approach, we and our licensing body members are able to distribute licence fees efficiently and in a cost effective way without requiring businesses to report every song played.



tariff sheet tariff sheet



Apply for a license now!

Details submitted here is for reference only, an officer will be assigned to your application and will contact you shortly to work out the best tariff plan for your business or event.